Highline Lodge is Killington’s first ski lodge built in 1959 by the Hubbard Family. The family owned and operated lodge served local and transient skiers during a pinnacle decade of transformation for what was then a frontier town. After Pres Smith started Killington Basin ski area on Dec. 20, 1958 and embarked on cultivating what would later be revered as “The Beast of the East,” the Hubbard family’s passion for skiing led them to pursue the idea of building a ski lodge. The family opened it’s doors a year later (in 1959) as Alpenhof Ski Lodge and successfully operated the popular lodge for many years throughout the 60s and 70s.